I don't remember a whole lot from my elementary years, but I do remember making these string baskets for Easter, funny eh! I had just thought about them last year but didn't get around to making them, so I was excited to try them out this year! They are fun to make, kinda messy and really sticky, but it's a fun one for your kids to do....unless they are clean freaks like their moms and hate being messy. lol Faith had to keep washing her hands every 5 minutes.
- Balloon- blown up to the size you want
- String or yarn. String works better; I used 12 bundles of crochet thread, 2 different colors.
- 1 cup warm water + 2 cups granulated white sugar- stir til dissolved
- Hang balloon up with some string and place newspaper or something underneath.
- Dip string into sugar water mixture and wrap around balloon. The fun thing about this is you don't have to get it perfect, just keep wrapping it around in different directions to get a web-like design.
- You can use more string than me to make it more covered, that's all the string I had so I stopped there, but I like it this way, just my preference.
- Let dry over night.
- When strings are all completely dry and stiff, pop balloon and either pull out carefully through holes or wait til next step.
- Cut a hole for front of basket, where the Easter Bunny will place the goodies! ;) Faith was extremely excited about that part! If you didn't already, pull out your popped balloon now.
- Be creative and decorate with whatever you want!
- To make it stand up, just lightly press bottom down on hard surface.
And you got yourself a fun, unique Easter basket ready for all those yummy goodies.... which include Cadbury eggs, right?!? They are the BEST! :)
If you do one, let me know, I want to see!! I like to find different ideas!